Cleveland Grays Armory

1234 Bolivar Rd., Cleveland, Ohio

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Established in 1837, the Cleveland Grays were a volunteer militia whose members were among the first to serve during the Civil War. The Armory, built in 1893, served as the home base for the Grays. The Grays were born through a series of events starting with the City Watch program to deal with criminal infractions in Cleveland. The beginning activities of the Grays were marked first in response to local exigency, increased need for maintenance of law and order, and a local response to an external crisis... -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 28, 1973
Reference number
73001409
Architectural styles
Other architectural type; Victorian: Romanesque; Richardsonian Romanesque
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Military facility
Current function
Military facility
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1894

Tags 

19th Century (36,345)
Armory (230)
Built 1894 (564)
Built during 1890s (7,185)
Cleveland, Ohio (229)
Cuyahoga County, Ohio (379)
Fenimore C. Bate (1)
Granite (5,090)
Have Street View (34,763)
Military facility (677)
Ohio (5,056)
Owned by local government (11,501)
Romanesque (2,699)
Stone (26,162)
Victorian (19,690)

Update Log 

  • June 19, 2012: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources