Ohio National Guard Armory

No longer exists
Also known as: Rahe's Meats
1437-1439 Western Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio

Photos 

Ohio National Guard Armory

1. Photocopy of photograph from 'Selections from Executed Work and Sketches,' Hannaford & Sons, Architects, circa 1893 VIEW NORTHWEST, SOUTH AND EAST (FRONT) ELEVATIONS

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Ohio National Guard Armory was built by the Hamilton County Board of Commissioners. Construction began in 1887 and the building was completed in 1889. The significance of the building is based on its unusual architecture and its architects, Samuel Hannaford and Sons. The massive 3 1/2 story brick functional building is distinguished by its utilization of Gothic and Romanesque detailing. ... The Armory was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in March of 1980 as part of the Thematic Resources of Samuel Hannaford/Samuel Hannaford & Sons 1858-1900 nomination. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS OH-2264)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 3, 1980
Reference number
80003069
Architectural styles
Victorian; Other architectural type; Victorian Eclectic
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Military facility
Current function
Specialty store
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
1886; 1889

Update Log 

  • May 22, 2017: Updated by Michael Miller: Updated "Status" and Added "Street View"
  • June 21, 2012: New Street View added by wdzinc
  • July 31, 2010: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources