National Guard Armory

Jct. of Elliott and Unity Sts., Fort Mill, South Carolina

Photo 

National Guard Armory, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The National Guard Armory, constructed ca. 1938, is significant for its architecture and for its role as the military training facility for Fort Mill. The armory is Fort Mill’s only Art Deco-influenced building. While the style was used freely throughout the state in armory buildings, the style was otherwise relatively rare in South Carolina. The façade consists of a central block with tall vertical windows and decorative brick panels, two flanking sections with smaller windows over entrance doors, and two end sections with square windows. The main block’s tall windows, four multi-planed brick engaged columns, and low-relief brick designs provide vertical elements which make it appear taller than its one-story height. The armory was one of over thirty local armories built in South Carolina with WPA funds in the late 1930s. The building provided a home for the local National Guard unit in the period prior to World War II and was used as a public space for dances and other events. After its use as an active armory ended, the building served as a school gymnasium for a number of years. Listed in the National Register June 11, 1992. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 11, 1992
Reference number
92000648
Architectural style
Modern Movement: Art Deco
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Arms storage
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
ca. 1938

Update Log 

  • October 28, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources