South Carolina State Armory

1219 Assembly St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

South Carolina State Armory, Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The South Carolina State Armory is significant in the development of the National Guard in South Carolina. The Armory also exemplifies a new architectural style that arose with the federalization of the National Guard. South Carolina’s armory was one of the first armories to break away from the medieval crenellated model and provided a new solution which embodied the new spirit and attitudes of the National Guard. Built in 1905 according to plans by the Columbia architectural firm, Edwards & Walter, the Armory served as headquarters for the 118th Infantry and medical detachment. The building also housed the 263rd Coast Artillery. The building was used from the time of its construction until 1964 when the South Carolina National Guard moved into a new building. It is a three-story brick commercial block style building with a main façade divided into three vertical bays. The façade is made of red brick in a seven-to-one American bond pattern variation which features on every eight row alternating headers and stretchers. The remaining three facades are of red brick in a running bond pattern. Listed in the National Register February 5, 1999. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 5, 1999
Reference number
99000099
Architectural style
American Movement: Early Commercial
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Arms storage
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1905

Update Log 

  • October 18, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources