Arkansas Post National Memorial

8 mi. SE of Gillett on AR 1 and 169, Gillett, Arkansas

Map 

Description 

Established in 1686 by Henri de Tonti, a lieutenant of La Salle, this trading post near the mouth of the Arkansas River was the first successful French settlement in the Lower Mississippi Valley. Apparently abandoned and later reclaimed by the French in the 18th century, Arkansas Post went on to serve the Spanish and, later, the Territory of Arkansas. Its position on the river necessitated frequent changes of location; this is the post's final location. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, October 9, 1960

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000198
Areas of significance
Military; Ethnic Heritage - European; Exploration/Settlement; Politics/Government
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
Village site; Business
Current functions
Park; Monument/marker
Periods of significance
1650-1699; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799
Significant years
1686; 1752; 1763
Number of properties
Contributing structures: 6