Old Stone Gate of Chicago Union Stockyards

Exchange Ave., Chicago, Illinois

Photos 

Overview.

The attached building has apparently been demolished.

Photo Courtesy Illinois Historic Preservation Agency HAARGIS Database

Map 

Street View 

Description 

From about 1879 to 1971, this triple-arched, rough-faced limestone gate was the main entrance to the Chicago Union Stockyards. The Stockyards, founded in 1865 to consolidate the many scattered stockyards in Chicago into an efficient unit, symbolized Chicago's role as a major meat-packing center. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 29, 1981

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 27, 1972
Reference number
72000451
Areas of significance
Commerce; Agriculture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Monument/marker
Current function
Monument/marker
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant year
ca. 1879

Update Log 

  • July 19, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth