Rogers, George W. Company Shot Tower

Under construction
Also known as: Dubuque Shot Tower
Commercial St. and River Front, Dubuque, Iowa

A 117 foot tall tower built to manufacture lead shot. It is one of the few remaining shot towers in the United States and the only one west of the Mississippi River.


Overview Looking East

There was a fire in the tower in 1911 - it was ironically being used as a fire watchtower at the time - all the interior woodwork and the top portion of the tower was destroyed. It sat unused until 1959 when it was "restored." Today, those renovations are being renovated, correctly.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning


National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 7, 1976
Reference number
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Mid 19th C. Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Industry; Architecture
Levels of significance
State; National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Current function
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1856; 1872; 1911


19th Century (36,545)
Brick (42,458)
Built 1856 (338)
Built during 1850s (4,594)
C.H. Rogers, & Co. (1)
Dubuque County, Iowa (71)
Dubuque, Iowa (51)
Iowa (2,471)
Limestone (8,192)
Monument (440)
Owned by local government (11,501)
Stone (26,162)

Update Log 

  • April 26, 2012: New photo from Steve Conro
  • March 20, 2011: Updated by J.R. Manning: Corrected GPS Data and added Description