Old Market

Also known as: Slave Market
U.S. 1 and GA 24, Louisville, Georgia

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey Branan Sanders, Photographer March 1934 SOUTHWEST VIEW

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This old Slave Market was erected in 1758, at what was then the junction of the Georgetown and Savannah Trails. Here there was an Indian trading post, and this crossroads was a meeting place of slave traders going form the up country to the rice fields further south. Many slaves were sold here. Later it became the official place for sheriff sales, as well as a community market house. The old bell was cast in France for a convent in New Orleans in 1772 by Francois Gourbillon... -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS GA-14-2)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 17, 1978
Reference number
78000991
Areas of significance
Commerce; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Business
Current function
Monument/marker
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1795; 1798

Update Log 

  • August 2, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • July 11, 2016: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Added "Street View"
  • May 19, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Related landmarks 

Sources 

Comments 

Old Market
Posted April 26, 2012, by Andrew Wood (andrewpwood [at] aol [dot] com)

Old Market

Uploaded file: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01, 1230977 bytes