Julien Dubuque Monument

Confluence of Mississippi River and Catfish Creek in Mines of Spain State Recreation Area, Dubuque, Iowa

Photos 

The Julien Dubuque Monument

Julien Dubuque was born in Quebec in 1762 and died in 1810 in the city that bears his name. Dubuque was granted rights by the Mesquakie Indians to mine lead in the area, and he remained in the area for the rest of his life. When he died, he was buried on this high point overlooking the Mississippi River and city. The log crypt was replaced by this stone monument sometime in the 1880s.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in May 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

This is a major concentration of historic archeological sites related to the mining of lead from 1788 to 1855. About 1690, Native Americans brought the lead deposits here to the attention of French explorer Nicholas Perrot, who established a trading post at the site. The site was abandoned, however, by 1710, until about 1788, when French trader Julien Dubuque (1762-1810) negotiated an agreement with the Mesquakie Indians for the sole permission to work the mines. Dubuque reestablished a trading post at the site, and engaged Indians and French engagees (laborers) to extract the lead, which he annually transported to St. Louis and exchanged for trade goods. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 4, 1993

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 21, 1988
Reference number
88002662
NR name
Dubuque, Julien, Monument
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Late Gothic Revival
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Object
Historic function
Monument/marker
Current functions
Monument/marker; Conservation area
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1897

Update Log 

  • May 27, 2013: New photos from J.R. Manning

Sources