Fire Station Number 4

Also known as: Merrimon Avenue Fire Station
300 Merrimon Ave., Asheville, North Carolina

Photo 

File:Fire Station Number 4, 300 Merrimon Ave., Asheville

Designed by renowned architect Douglas D. Ellington, Asheville's fourth fire station opened on August 15, 1927. The building included a six-story drill tower. Closed in 1976, it was retained by the city and opened in 1997 as the home of the Arson Task Force. It also presently houses the fire department archives. (taken from http://legeros.com/history/stations/asheville/

Photo taken by Karen D. Hoffman

License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)

View this photo at en.wikipedia.org

Map 

Street View 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 6, 2000
Reference number
00000336
Architectural style
Modern Movement: Art Deco
Areas of significance
Community Planning and Development; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Fire station
Current function
Government office
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1927

Update Log 

  • January 22, 2015: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources