North Columbia Fire Station No. 7

2622 N. Main St., Columbia, South Carolina


North Columbia Fire Station No. 7, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at


Street View 


The North Columbia Fire Station No. 7, built in 1948, is significant as an excellent example of the transition between the Art Moderne and International styles and also as a design of Heyward S. Singley, a prominent twentieth-century South Carolina architect well known for designing many public buildings across the state from the 1930s to the 1950s. The fire station was designed in 1947 and constructed by the Crosland Construction Company in 1948 at a cost of $62,000. The 1948 annual report of the City of Columbia Fire Department described it as “completely fire resistant. It is two-story, brick, metal window frames, steel roofing supports, forced air heat, 12-bed dormitory with no separate officers’ sleeping quarters, supply room, alarm room, recreation room, bathing, sanitation, and kitchen facilities. Three companies can be accommodated.” The building is an artful, high-style example of the transition and overlap between the Art Moderne and the International style. The flat roof, clean lines, and spare detail are representative of the International style. The horizontal and lateral banding is characteristic of both styles, but the positioning of the ribbon windows at the corners seems particularly reminiscent of a machine, such as the bridge of a ship, and so satisfied a trademark of the Art Moderne style. Listed in the National Register June 1, 2005. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 1, 2005
Reference number
Architectural styles
Modern Movement: Moderne; Modern Movement: International Style
Area of significance
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Fire station
Current function
Fire station
Period of significance
Significant year

Update Log 

  • October 16, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • October 16, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller