Vigilant Firehouse

1066 Wisconsin Ave., NW., Washington, District of Columbia

Map 

Description 

One of the eldest firehouses standing in the District of Columbia. Started as a private fire company in 1817, the Vigilants built this structure on 10 August 1844 as the second firehouse on the site. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 6, 1971
Reference number
71001008
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Fire station
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1844; 1848; 1883

Sources