Central Fire Station

S. President St., Jackson, Mississippi

The old Central Fire Station in downtown Jackson, Mississippi

Photos 

Central Fire Station

Photo taken by Jeff Lovorn

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This building was constructed in 1904 as the original fire station for the first paid City of Jackson fire department. With nimerous additions, now removed, it served the city for almost seventy-five years. Abandoned for three years,listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, the Jackson Chamber of Commerce restored the exterior to original condition in 1979 and adapted the interior to house chamber offices.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 30, 1975
Reference number
75001045
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Fire station
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1904; 1905

Update Log 

  • December 27, 2011: New Street View added by Jeff Lovorn

Sources