Brooklyn No. 4 Fire House

17 W. Sixth Ave., Oshkosh, Wisconsin

Former firehouse, turned sign company, now a privately owned building

Photos 

Overview Looking Southwest

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in June 2017

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"Brooklyn" was how this neighborhood, on the south shore of the Fox River, was known at the time this station was built. After it was retired, the lookout tower (also used for drying hoses) was removed. The building became headquarters for a famous local sign company. The sign company is gone and the current owner has restored the fašade to its original appearance and rebuilt the lookout tower.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 11, 1996
Reference number
95001505
Architectural style
Victorian: Italianate
Area of significance
Politics/Government
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Fire station
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1868; 1880

Tags 

19th Century (36,327)
Brick (42,457)
Built 1868 (348)
Built during 1860s (3,606)
Fire station (382)
Italianate (5,024)
Oshkosh, Wisconsin (32)
Private owner (54,396)
Stone (26,162)
Victorian (19,690)
William Waters (36)
Winnebago County, Wisconsin (90)
Wisconsin (2,438)

Update Log 

  • September 9, 2017: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • July 29, 2017: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status and added photos

Sources