Sauk City Fire Station
Also known as: Village Hall--Fire Station, Old Sauk City Fire Station717 John Adams St., Sauk City, Wisconsin
One of the oldest fire stations in Wisconsin
Overview Looking Northwest
Photo taken by J.R. Manning April 2017
+43.27294, -89.7230243°16'23" N, 89°43'23" W
Quadrangle map:Sauk City
"Begun in 1862, the brick Sauk City Fire Station is one of the oldest fire stations in Wisconsin. It represents a period when fires were fought with hand-powered equipment, and the formation of volunteer fire companies was a significant step in the creation of communities and the exercise of local democratic process. In 1870 the footprint of the station was doubled by the construction of a north section. A wooden rear addition, reached by passing through the front section of the building, was attached to the building sometime before 1892 1 to house a meeting room. It was demolished in 1994. The fire station also served as the village hall and jail from about 1892 to 1937. In 1954 a new station was built and the fire station stood vacant until it became a museum in 1963. It is presently being renovated by the Sauk Prairie Area Historical Society. Sauk City appears to have the oldest continuously operating volunteer company in the state, formed in 1854. The fire station is an important symbol of the origins of the community and its German traditions.
"The fire station is built of soft red brick veneer which has been painted a matching shade of red. It measures 28' wide by 36' deep. A single course of offset bricks forms a simple corbeled cornice below the eaves on the north-facing side elevation. Its front gabled main facade, with two wooden overhead garage doors, faces east on John Adams Street, a residential street in the middle of the oldest part of the village. Between the doors, within the frame of the north door opening, is a narrow pedestrian entrance. The recently repaired roof is covered in asphalt shingle. The peak of the gable roof is approximately 18 feet above the street."
Description condensed from National Register of Historic Places Registration Form prepared for the National Park Service. The application, dated August 1, 1998, was prepared by Jane Eiseley, historic preservation consultant.
For more about this site, follow the link below to find the document quoted above.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 28, 1999
- Reference number
- Areas of significance
- Architecture; Social History
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- A - Event; C - Design/Construction
- Property type
- Historic function
- Fire station
- Current function
- Agricultural fields
- Periods of significance
- 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
- May 7, 2017: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated listing, added description and added photos