Grand Village of the Natchez Indians

Also known as: Fatherland Plantation Site
3 mi. SE of Natchez, Natchez, Mississippi

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Remnants of three temple mounds and a plaza remain here at the documented site of the Grand Village of the Natchez (c. 1600-1700), mentioned in early 18th-century sources. This was the governmental and religious seat of the Natchez Indians during the late 17th and early 18th century, but archeological evidence indicates that the site had been occupied by the thirteenth century. Numerous native and European grave goods were found in the temple on one of the mounds. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, July 19, 1964

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000408
Area of significance
Archeology - Aboriginal
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
D - Information Potential
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Village site; Religious structure
Current function
Underwater
Periods of significance
1650-1699; 1700-1749
Significant years
ca. 1682; 1730
Number of properties
Contributing structures: 3
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • April 5, 2021: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "GPS Coordinates" & "Street View"

Sources