Pinckneyville

In ruins
13 mi. NE of Union on SC 13, Union, South Carolina

Original district court location for the Pinckney District in what is now northern Union County, SC

Photos 

Pinckneyville, Old Store-Left Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

When Pinckney District was created in 1791, it comprised the counties of Union, Spartanburg, York, and Chester. Three commissioners appointed by the Legislature selected a place in the northern part of Union county for the new court house town to be established. Pinckneyville is one of the earliest settlements in the South Carolina backcountry. It reflects the spread of justice throughout the state in the early years and the beginnings of representative government beyond the border of Charleston. For the first ninety years of provincial Carolina, Charleston was the source of all judicial proceedings. For the accommodation of the remote settlers, an act was passed in 1796 by which district courts were established at Beaufort, Georgetown, Cheraw, Camden, Orangeburg and Ninety Six. In 1789, the circuit courts were invested with complete and final jurisdiction. In two more years, Pinckney and Washington districts were added. Although the town never flourished as its planners had dreamed, it does reflect a significant era of South Carolina history. The National Register property consists of 1.75 acres of the original site of Pinckneyville and contains the ruins of the brick jail and one other brick building, usually referred to as the old store. Structurally in good shape, with interior wainscoting, fireplace, mantel and moldings intact, this building may possibly have been designed as a government building. Listed in the National Register December 2, 1969. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 3, 1969
Reference number
69000175
Area of significance
Archeology - Non-Aboriginal
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
D - Information Potential
Property type
Site
Historic function
Village site
Period of significance
1750-1799

Update Log 

  • October 23, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • November 15, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"

Sources