Civilian Conservation Corps Quarry No. 2

Also known as: CCC Quarry #2
.2 mi. N of Section Rd. 69/Sliding Rock Rd. near Oolenoy River, Pickens, South Carolina

Photo 

CCC Quarry #2, Quarry Face

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Quarry #2 is significant as one of the four quarry sites used for materials in the construction of park structures and facilities at Table Rock State Park. This was the first quarry site off park property used by the CCC for park construction. Much of the rock used in the construction of the dam and spillway, and the lodge was obtained from this quarry. In the early phases of the park’s construction, rock was obtained from large boulders and the lake bed, both located on park property; however, these were soon exhausted and of poorer quality, necessitating a need to find a larger and better quarry off park property. The quarry was located on the property of Oscar Chastain, who, in early 1936, gave the CCC permission to extract as much rock as was needed. This site was quarried from 1936 to 1939, and in return for the use of the quarry, CCC workers constructed a concrete springhouse for the Chastain family. Listed in the National Register June 16, 1989. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 16, 1989
Reference number
89000480
Areas of significance
Economics; Politics/Government
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Historic function
Extractive facility
Period of significance
1925-1949

Update Log 

  • October 3, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name" & "Description" and Imported Photo
  • October 3, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources