Navigation Structures at White Lake Harbor

South End of Lau Rd., Whitehall, Michigan

Deactivated lighthouse now serving as a museum

Photos 

Lighthouse

The lighthouse was built in 1875 and used a fourth order Fresnel lens. The light was decommissioned in 1960 and converted to a museum. The original Fresnel lens is on display in the museum

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2020

Enlarge

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 26, 2000
Reference number
00000535
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Utilitarian
Areas of significance
Transportation; Community Planning and Development
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Water-related
Current function
Water-related
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1867; 1872; 1900
Number of properties
Contributing structures: 4

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2020: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • August 18, 2020: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status and added photos

Sources