Puu o Mahuka Heiau

4 mi. NE of Haleiwa on HI 83, overlooking Waimea Bay, Haleiwa, Hawaii

Map 

Description 

The largest heiau on Oahu Island, this is a platform type luakini temple with a low-walled court. Oahu's greatest priests may have come from this district. In 1792, 3 men from Captain Vancouver's ship, HMS DAEDALUS, were believed to have been sacrificed here. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 29, 1962

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000292
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Pacific Islander; Archeology - Prehistoric; Archeology - Aboriginal; Exploration/Settlement; Religion
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; D - Information Potential
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Ceremonial site
Current functions
Ceremonial site; Park
Periods of significance
1700-1749; 1750-1799
Significant year
1792
Number of properties
Contributing structures: 3