Early Cotton Press

Near jct. of SC 917 and 38, Latta, South Carolina

Photo 

Early Cotton Press, View #1

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Early Cotton Press is significant in the field of rural industry and agriculture as the only remaining cotton press of this era in South Carolina which used mule power. It was built and located at “Berry’s Crossroads,” former site of a sawmill and other plantation works, by Stephen Berry in ca. 1798; later purchased and moved to its present location to preserve it around 1950. Although not now in use, it remains in excellent condition and illustrates the primary machine which baled ginned cotton. The press is constructed of pegged and doweled oak. A shingled roof is attached and covers a chiseled oak screw 16 inches in diameter. The screw, at time of nomination, was still in working condition. Two shingled booms are hinged at the roof and four large doweled beams support and balance the structure. The press box is housed at the center of the beams. All parts are hand carved and, except for several repairs, are original material. Listed in the National Register November 15, 1972. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 15, 1972
Reference number
72001206
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Early Cotton Press
Areas of significance
Industry; Engineering
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1798; 1850

Update Log 

  • August 27, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • August 13, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Added "Street View" & "Description"

Sources