Corliss Steam Engine

Pawnee County Fairgrounds, Pawnee, Oklahoma

Corliss Steam Engine with direct-driven 3-phase alternator

Photos 

Flywheel end view of engine

Photo taken by Wes Kinsler in May 2007

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This engine was built by the Allis-Chalmers Co and was originally installed at Blackwell, Oklahoma in 1916 with a twin to provide electrical power for the Blackwell Zink Co. The engine saw service until 1974.

The engine was donated to the Oklahoma Steam Threshing and Gas Engine Association when the plant closed. It is run every year during the Pawnee Steam and Gas Engine Show, which occurs on the first full weekend of May.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 7, 1979
Reference number
79002016
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Steam Engine
Areas of significance
Industry; Invention
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Structure
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
ca. 1913

Update Log 

  • February 7, 2018: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger
  • September 26, 2010: Updated by Wes Kinsler: added tags, corrected description
  • July 3, 2010: New photos from Wes Kinsler

Sources