Propulsion and Structural Test Facility

Also known as: Solid Motor Structural Test Facility
George C. Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Alabama

Photos 

Marshall Space Flight Center, Saturn Propulsion & Structural Test Facility

Photo from the Historic American Engineering Record

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Built in 1957 by the Army Ballistic Missile Agency and transferred to NASA, this facility became the primary center responsible for the development of large vehicles and rocket propulsion systems. During the 1960s, under the direction of Dr. Werner von Braun, the Saturn Family of launch vehicles was developed here. Through its continual use and modification to meet the demands of new programs, this facility illustrates the primary mission assigned to the Army Ballistic Missile Agency and the Marshall Space Flight Center--the development of large launch vehicles and propulsion systems needed to support the American Space Program. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, October 3, 1985

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 3, 1985
Reference number
85002804
Areas of significance
Other; Military; Engineering
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Structure
Historic functions
Air-related; Research facility
Current functions
Air-related; Research facility
Periods of significance
1950-1974; 1975-2000
Significant years
1957; 1985
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Contributing structures: 1

Sources