W. & L. E. Gurley Building

514 Fulton St., Troy, New York

Photos 

W. & L. E. Gurley Building

Photo from the Historic American Engineering Record

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Manufacturing engineering and surveying instruments since the mid-nineteenth century, the Gurley Company made the first all aluminum transit for the 1876 Philadelphia Exposition. Highly acclaimed by civil engineers, Gurley instruments have been used in the building of major structures. The firm remains an active and important, skilled industry in Troy. The building is a typical urban factory of the period, but considerably above average in workmanship and detail. It is essentially unaltered. -- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER NY-13)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 5, 1970
Reference number
70000432
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Area of significance
Industry
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Current function
Manufacturing facility
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant year
1862

Sources