Arsenal Hill

1800 Lincoln St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

Arsenal Hill, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Significant as one of Columbia’s early manufacturing concerns, the Palmetto Iron Works was built in 1850 by William Glaze and a Mr. Boatwright for making ornamental iron works. It became known as the Palmetto Armory in 1851 when the State of South Carolina contracted with William Glaze and Company to manufacture specific numbers of muskets, rifles, pistols, cavalry sabers and artillery swords. This manufacture of military weapons from 1851-1853 helped to supply the South Carolina Militia for the Civil War. By Gen. Sherman’s February 16, 1865 Field Order No. 26 the Armory smokestacks were damaged beyond repair and all machinery destroyed. After the Civil War, George A. Shields rebuilt the foundry and by 1888 directed a thriving business that continued into the twentieth century. The remaining walls of the original main three-story building were used in the rebuilding. The third story, cornice, parapet, and dome of the original building were replaced by a gabled tin roof. Bought by the City of Columbia in 1942, it has been adaptively reused as a community center. The Palmetto Iron Works and Armory are also called “Arsenal Hill,” a name associated with this section since the days when the old arsenal stood nearby. Listed in the National Register November 23, 1971. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 23, 1971
Reference number
71000795
Areas of significance
Industry; Military
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Current function
Civic
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1850; 1865

Update Log 

  • October 3, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources