Knight's Foundry and Shops

13 Eureka St., Sutter Creek, California

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"Knight Foundry was established in 1873 to supply heavy equipment and repair facilities to the gold mines and timber industry of the Mother Lode. Samuel N. Knight developed a high speed, cast iron water wheel which was a forerunner of the Pelton Wheel design. Knight Wheels were used in some of the first hydroelectric plants in California, Utah, and Oregon. This site is the last water powered foundry and machine shop in California. A 42-inch Knight Wheel drives the main line shaft, with smaller water motors powering other machines." - California Historic Landmark No.1007

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 1, 1975
Reference number
75000423
Areas of significance
Industry; Commerce; Engineering; Invention
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Current function
Manufacturing facility
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant year
1873
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 11
Contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • March 27, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Add historical information
  • December 29, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources