Warsaw Cut Glass Company

505 S. Detroit St., Warsaw, Indiana

Photos 

North Elevation

The long, narrow building was constructed with rejected pavers.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2014

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

In 1911, the Johnson-Carlson Cut Glass Company of Chicago, unable to keep up with demand, decided to expand their operation to Warsaw. A building was constructed of pavers that were rejected for Warsaw street projects. One shaft with leather drive belts, still in use, turned cutting tools on two floors that were filled with 55 workers.

During the Great Depression, the demand for cut glass dropped considerably, and Johnson-Carlson closed the plant. One year later, the operation was purchased from Johnson-Carlson by a former employee, who operated the Warsaw Cut Glass Company until 1957 when it was sold. The new operator sold the company in 1980, and it is still in operation.

Adapted from the website of the Warsaw Cut Glass Company website, link below.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 1, 1984
Reference number
84001059
Areas of significance
Industry; Art
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Current function
Manufacturing facility
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1911

Update Log 

  • August 11, 2014: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos

Sources