A. H. Buchan Company Building

Also known as: Supreme Lighting
Laurel St., Mullins, South Carolina

Photo 

A. H. Buchan Company Building, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The A.H. Buchan Company Building, believed to have been constructed between 1924 and 1930 for the W.A. Gray Tobacco Company, is important for its role in the processing of tobacco in Mullins. In 1933 the building was purchased by the A.H. Buchan Tobacco Company. The A.H. Buchan Company had been founded in 1920 for the purpose of buying, drying and exporting tobacco. The company operated in this building until 1964. The two-story, brick (common bond) building features a stepped parapet on the façade. Most windows have a twelve-paned metal sash, which are hinged. The windows on the first story of the façade have six-over-six wood sash. The building was used as a tobacco redrying plant. The redrying plant’s main purpose was to insure that the tobacco contained a uniform amount of moisture so that it would not rot or become too dry and brittle. Tobacco has played a major role in the development of Marion and Dillon Counties in general and the town of Mullins in particular. Listed in the National Register August 3, 1984. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 3, 1984
Reference number
84003817
NR name
Buchan, A. H., Company Building
Area of significance
Industry
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
ca. 1924; 1930

Update Log 

  • September 26, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources