Old Greenwood Cemetery

Also known as: Methodist Cemetery
503 E. Cambridge Ave., Greenwood, South Carolina


Old Greenwood Cemetery Pano

Photo taken by Michael Miller



Street View 


Established ca. 1860 by the Main Street Methodist Church, the Old Greenwood Cemetery is a mid-nineteenth to late-twentieth century cemetery. It was the first cemetery in Greenwood until the Magnolia Cemetery was laid out in 1871. Located at the original site of the church, the cemetery covers a one-and-one-half acre tract that contains approximately three hundred and fifty graves. The cemetery reflects typical burial customs and gravestone art during its period of significance and contains the graves of many of Greenwoodís prominent citizens. The cemetery is laid out in a regular grid plan with little discernible landscaping or other planned features other than a few trees shading family plots. The church maintained the cemetery until 1906 when it was deeded to the Greenwood Cemetery Association. In 2001, the property was deeded to the Greenwood Historical Society. Some descendants of those buried in the cemetery have worked to maintain it in more recent years. Among the prominent local figures buried here are: Alfred P. Aldrich, Jr., James A. Bailey, R.S. Cobb, Thomas Jones, Arthur St. Clair Lee, Julia Lee, J.T. McKellar, Thomas Franklin Riley, and Cadmus Garlington Waller. Listed in the National Register March 1, 2002. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 1, 2002
Reference number
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Current function
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974

Update Log 

  • November 11, 2016: New photos from Michael Miller
  • September 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo