Cemetery of the Ghost Town of Mud Creek
It was founded as the town cemetery for Mud Creek, a community founded by Gamaliel Wilder in 1788. The community of Mud Creek has long since dried up and blown away. The old barn you drive past at the entrance and the cemetery are the only relics of a town that was here. The internments appear to be descendants of Gamaliel Wilder, daughters and sons in law, grandchildren and great grandchildren, with family names of Allen and Parish.
Many of the stones have fallen or are so weather-worn to be difficult to read, if readable at all. Someone who cares has installed a newer headstone for Mr. Wilder, although it is difficult to read because it is against the split-rail fence that appears to be a fairly recent addition. American flags have been placed on the graves of veterans. They are veterans of the French & Indian War, Revolutionary War, the War of 1812 and the Civil War.
There is an ancient wood-decked bridge (extant) that crosses Mud Creek. It was incapable of handling vehicles but has been replaced by a modern culvert.
A modern, split rail fence defines the boundary of the original cemetery. Although overgrown in the last 120 years, it is in remarkably good shape. The headstones appear to be in clusters, probably familial. One is marked simply, "Mother."
Perhaps someday, a civic-minded group will adopt this cemetery. It seems that a group effort could clean up the cemetery, knock down the weeds, perhaps even clean up and/or restore the stones.