Cumming Cemetery

Bordered by GA 20, GA 9 and Resthaven Dr., Cumming, Georgia

Photos 

Photo taken by pam phillips in September 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

CUMMING HISTORIC CEMETERY In 1834, Moses Whitsett was the first person buried on the property which in 1840 became the cemetery for the Baptist Church and the Presbyterian Church. In 1856, the Presbyterian Church disbanded. When the Baptist Church relocated, the cemetery became the property of the City of Cumming, which is the County Seat of Forsyth. Some of Cumming’s earliest leaders are interred in the municipal cemetery. Included are William H. Ray, Aulston B. Welborn, H.L. and Almon Hutchins, E.C. McAfee, Rufus E. Guthrie, George and Thomas Willingham, Haynie S. Brooks, henry Hurt, A.C. Kennemore, Henry Lowndes Patterson and Col. Hiram Parks Bell; a lawyer, author, orator, Mason, Civil War soldier and U.S. Congressman. HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF FORSYTH COUNTY 1957

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 21, 2005
Reference number
05000428
Areas of significance
Art; Landscape Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Site
Historic function
Cemetery
Current function
Cemetery
Periods of significance
1825-1849; 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant year
1834

Update Log 

  • July 16, 2010: New Street View added by Eddie Douthitt

Sources