Martin House

7 mi. NE of Wartrace off TN 64, Wartrace, Tennessee

Photo 

By Jack Boucher - https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/sc0716.photos.051971p, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=34400249

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The Cook's House is a dependency of the Borough House plantation complex. The original portion of the building wasuilt of rammed earth c. 1821, the structure is one of six dependencies (in addition to portions of the main house) to be built of this material. This complex is of potential national significance because of the number of early Greek Revival structures it contains which were built of this unusual material. The Borough House complex was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Stateburg Historic District in 1971 and as an individual site in 1972. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS SC-369)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 14, 1972
Reference number
72001227
Architectural style
Federal
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Cemetery; Single dwelling
Current functions
Cemetery; Single dwelling
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant years
1809; 1813
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • October 12, 2020: New photo from Bill Eichelberger

Sources