Brainerd Mission Cemetery

5700 Eastgate Loop, Chattanooga, Tennessee

Photos 

Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Established 1817 by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, it played an important part in the educational development and Christianizing of the Cherokee. Brainerd Cemetery contains graves of whites and Indians who died at the Mission, which was discontinued in 1838, at the time of the Cherokee Removal.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 1979
Reference number
79002435
Areas of significance
Conservation; Education; Politics/Government; Ethnic Heritage - Native American; Social History
Levels of significance
State; National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Historic function
Cemetery
Current functions
Park; Cemetery
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1825-1849; 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1950-1974
Significant years
1817; 1838; 1933
Number of properties
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • November 21, 2010: New photos from Eddie Douthitt
  • July 30, 2010: New Street View added by Eddie Douthitt

Sources