St. Patrick's Parish Complex

Northfield Church and Whitmore Lake Rds., Ann Arbor, Michigan

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: St. Patrick's Church

Catholicism in Northfield Township dates from the early nineteenth century. In 1829 Father Patrick O'Kelly, a native of Kilkenny, Ireland, was sent to the area to minister to the Irish Catholics who were settling in southwestern Michigan. The first parish church, a log structure, was completed on this site in 1831. Originally named St. Brigid, this is the oldest English-speaking Catholic parish in the state. The present Gothic Revival style church was completed and dedicated in 1878. The parish was renamed St. Patrick's at that time. The rectory was completed in 1890. In 1917 the church and rectory were badly damaged by a cyclone; however, both were rebuilt in subsequent years. Serving the area for 150 years, the parish continues to reach out to the needs of the surrounding community.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 23, 1982
Reference number
82002889
Architectural style
Victorian: Gothic
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Religious structure; Cemetery; Church related residence
Current functions
Religious structure; Cemetery; Church related residence
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1878; 1890; 1835
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Tags 

19th Century (37,681)
Ann Arbor, Michigan (35)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1878 (325)
Built during 1870s (4,999)
Cemetery (1,124)
Gothic (1,437)
Have Street View (44,575)
Michigan (1,927)
Private owner (54,398)
Stone (26,160)
Victorian (19,697)
Washtenaw County, Michigan (83)

Sources