Greenwood Cemetery

Also known as: City Cemetery, Old Cemetery
Bounded by West, Davis, Lamar and George Sts., Jackson, Mississippi

Photo 

Greenwood Cemetery

Photo taken by Jeff Lovorn

Map 

Description 

Greenwood Cemetery Established by federal grant of 1821. Originally "The Graveyard"; later "City Cemetery"; & in 1899 received present name. here lie 7 state governors, many other city and state leaders, and in unmarked graves over 100 Confederate soldiers.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 20, 1984
Reference number
84000474
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Site
Historic function
Cemetery
Current function
Cemetery
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant years
1822; 1875; 1915
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 3
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Sources