Robert Mable House and Cemetery

5239 Floyd Rd., Mableton, Georgia

Photos 

Photo taken by pam phillips in October 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Robert Mable (1803-1885), a native of Scotland, immigrated to Savannah, Georgia. When he heard of the Georgia Gold Land Lottery of 1832, Mable purchased 300 acres in the area that became Cobb County. He and his family lived in a log cabin until 1843 when he built a sawmill and began construction of a plantation plain house. Upon moving into the Mable House, the cabin became the location of the first school (private) in Mableton. The Mable House was used by Federal troops during the Civil War as a field hospital. Wounded soldiers were cared for by Mrs. Mable. This kindness was the basis for the decision to leave the Mable House intact instead of burning the house and outbuildings.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 1, 1988
Reference number
87001345
NR name
Mable, Robert, House and Cemetery
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Plantation Plain
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Cemetery; Single dwelling; Battle site
Current functions
Professional; Cemetery; School
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1843; 1864
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing structures: 1

Tags 

19th Century (37,813)
Built 1843 (161)
Built during 1840s (2,995)
Cemetery (1,140)
Cobb County, Georgia (56)
Georgia (3,073)
Mableton, Georgia (2)
Private owner (54,398)
Robert Mable (1)
Stucco (7,816)

Sources