Iowa Men's Reformatory Cemetery

Also known as: Boot Hill Cemetery
Co. Trunk Hwy. E28 W of Buffalo Cr., Anamosa, Iowa

Photos 

Overview

On April 23, 1872, the State of Iowa chartered a committee to secure a location for an additional penitentiary for the state. They settled on Anamosa, building on 15 acres of land donated by the city. An additional 61 acres of land outside the city was donated for prison use, including two quarries (where stone was quarried for the buildings) and this cemetery.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in August 2012

Enlarge

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 18, 1992
Reference number
92001665
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Law
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; D - Information Potential
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Correctional facility; Cemetery
Current functions
Correctional facility; Cemetery
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant year
1914

Update Log 

  • May 30, 2013: New photo from Dave King
  • August 26, 2012: New photos from J.R. Manning

Sources