Clinton Grove Cemetery

21189 Cass Ave., Clinton Township, Mt. Clemens, Michigan

Photos 

Oct. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads:

Established in 1855, the Clinton Grove Cemetery exhibits an exquisite array of funerary art in a wooded landscape. This combination of nature and monuments reflects the rural cemetery movement of the nineteenth century, which popularized park-like pastoral planned landscapes in both rural and urban settings. The grounds include a caretakers house, built around 1885, and a Tudor office and chapel building, designed by Mount Clemens architect Theophilus Van Damme, which dates from 1914. Many business and political leaders are interred here as well as veterans of American military conflicts from the Revolutionary War through the Vietnam War. Six thousand burials date from the nineteenth century. Clinton Grove Cemetery is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 25, 1996
Reference number
96000807
Architectural styles
Victorian: Stick/Eastlake; Victorian: Gothic; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Art; Landscape Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Cemetery
Current function
Cemetery
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1855; 1885; 1914
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 7
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • October 15, 2012: New photo from Rattrak
  • September 26, 2012: New Street View added by Rattrak

Sources