Fort Davis National Historic Site

Jct. of TX 17 and 118, Fort Davis, Texas

Photos 

Fort Davis

1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Marvin Eickenroht, Photographer May 23, 1936 SOUTHEAST ELEVATION OF OFFICERS QUARTERS (SOUTH SIDE AND EAST FRONT).

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Fort Davis was established in 1854 to protect travelers on the Overland Trail between San Antonio and El Paso. The original fort was located in the canyon to the west of the hospital. Turned over to Confederate troops in 1861, the fort was abandoned a year later and fell into a state of ruin. Construction of the existing (second) fort began in 1867 and continued intermittently until 1891 when finally abandoned by the Army. The area was designated a National Historic Site in 1963. This building dates from 1884-1885. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS TX-3156)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000045
Areas of significance
Military; Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Site
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Park
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1854; 1885
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 5
Contributing sites: 41
Non-contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing structures: 3
Non-contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • September 15, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources