Fort de Chartres

Also known as: Fort de Chartres State Park
Terminus of IL 155, W of Prairie du Rocher, Fort Chartres, Prairie du Rocher, Illinois

Photos 

Fort de Chartres, Officers' Quarters (Foundations)

1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Lester Jones, Photographer. October 1, 1940. VIEW FROM NORTHWEST

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

First occupied by the French built in 1720, this was the center of French civil and military goverment in the Illinois area in during the 18th century. The French held the garrison until October 1765, when English troops replaced them in accordance with the the treaty that ended the French and Indian War. In 1772, the fort was destroyed by the British. Now a State park, this is a reconstruction of the third fort built on this site. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, October 9, 1960

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000329
Area of significance
Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Park
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1756; 1772
Number of properties
Contributing sites: 5
Non-contributing buildings: 5

Update Log 

  • April 28, 2015: New photos from John Christeson

Sources