Fort Michilimackinac

Near Mackinac Bridge at the terminus of U.S. 31, Mackinaw City, Michigan

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Erected by the French in their attempt to control the important Straits of Mackinac, the fort was abandoned during the French and Indian War and subsequently occupied by the British. It was the only garrisoned British outpost on the Great Lakes during the American Revolution, but ultimately was also abandoned by the British in 1781. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, October 9, 1960

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000395
Areas of significance
Military; Politics/Government
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Site
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Park
Periods of significance
1650-1699; 1700-1749; 1750-1799
Significant years
1681; 1781

Update Log 

  • July 9, 2020: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources