Fort Osage

N edge of Sibley on the Missouri River, Sibley, Missouri

Map 

Description 

Established in 1808 by General William Clark (1770-1838) for the protection and promotion of trade with the Osage Indians, Fort Osage was one of the most successful of 28 trading houses operated from 1795 to 1822 under the U.S. Government's factory system. The fort served as the point from which distances were measured by the Federal Survey of 1825. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 5, 1961

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000418
Areas of significance
Archeology - Prehistoric; Archeology - Aboriginal; Commerce; Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; D - Information Potential
Property type
District
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant years
1802; 1822