Fort Gibson

Lee and Ash Sts., Fort Gibson, Oklahoma

Photos 

Fort Gibson, Barracks Building

1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Fred Q. Casler, Photographer February 28, 1934 VIEW FROM NORTHEAST.

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Fort Gibson is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a designated National Historic Landmark, an Oklahoma Landmark, and is also an official site on the Trail of Tears National Historic Trail. It was built on the western fringe of U.S. settlement in 1824 to maintain peace between dueling Native American tribes and between the tribes and white settlers. During the Native American removal from the southeast in the 1820s, 30s, and 40s, the fort served as a destination point for tribes before they were distributed within Indian Territory (Oklahoma). The fort was also was occupied temporarily by Union and troops during the Civil War. The WPA reconstructed part of the fort in 1937. -- Historic American Landscape Survey (HALS OK-40)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000631
Area of significance
Military
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
Fortification
Current functions
Museum; Park
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant year
1824
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 5
Contributing structures: 2

Update Log 

  • February 5, 2018: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources