Fort Astoria

15th and Exchange Sts., Astoria, Oregon

Map 

Description 

Erected in 1811 by fur trader John Jacob Astor (1763-1848) in an effort to break the British monopoly in the Pacific Northwest, its establishment represented an important American claim to the Oregon Territory. In 1813, Astor sold the site to his competitor, the British Northwest Company. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 5, 1961

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000639
Area of significance
Commerce
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
Site
Historic functions
Fortification; Camp
Current function
Park
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant years
1811; 1813
Number of properties
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1