Fort Pitt

Point State Park, Pittsburgh, PA

Photos 

Museum entrance

Built into the side of fort wall

Photo taken by Brian Manville on August 28, 2020

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This is the junction of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers and is the strategic key to the Ohio Valley. The French erected Fort Duquesne here in 1754; the British replaced it with Fort Pitt in 1758. The spot now forms Point Park, and the site of Fort Pitt has been excavated. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, October 9, 1960

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000643
NR name
Forks of the Ohio
Areas of significance
Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Military; Politics/Government
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; D - Information Potential
Property type
Site
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Park
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant years
1754; 1790
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • August 29, 2020: New photos from Brian Manville
  • April 24, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources