Fort Richardson

S of Jacksboro on U.S. 281, Jacksboro, Texas

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Established in 1867 to replace the recently abandoned Fort Belknap as the northernmost fort in the Texas chain of fortifications, the fort played an important role in the protection of American lives and property during the days of the Kiowa-Comanche conflict of the post-Civil War period, particularly the Red River War of 1874. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 27, 1963

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000816
Area of significance
Military
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Park
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant year
1867
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4
Contributing sites: 1

Update Log 

  • November 21, 2014: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources