Fort Belknap

Also known as: Fort Belknap State Park
1 mi. S of jct. of TX 24 and 251, Newcastle, Texas

Photos 

Fort Belknap

1. Historic American Buildings Survey, C.C. Bulger, Photographer March 20, 1934 VIEW FROM SOUTH (MAGAZINE BUILDING).

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

Established in 1851 following the Mexican War when the Texas frontier was being ravished by Comanche-Kiowa raids, Fort Belknap was the anchor of a chain of outer border posts stretching from the Red River to the Rio Grande. Until 1865, it was the key post in the protection of the exposed frontier; it bore the brunt of Comanche-Kiowa assault, and during the Civil War it served as a base for campaigns against these raiders. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, December 19, 1960

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966
Reference number
66000824
Area of significance
Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Park
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1851
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 7

Sources