Fort Kent

Blockhouse Rd., Fort Kent, Maine

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Constructed 1838-1840, this is the only extant fortification of the Aroostook "War" (1838-1839), the conflict that climaxed the Northeast border disputes with Great Britain following the War of 1812. The controversy over the border began with the Treaty of Paris (1783) and was finally resolved by the Webster-Ashburton Treaty, signed in Washington in 1842. With the boundary settled, the fort was abandoned. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, November 7, 1973

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 1, 1969
Reference number
69000005
Areas of significance
Military; Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
1839; 1840; 1843

Sources