Site of Old Charles Towne

Also known as: Charles Towne Landing State Historic Park
Albemarle Point, Charleston, South Carolina


Cassique of the Kiawha Statue

Photo taken by Michael Miller in July 2004



Street View 


The settlement of Carolina was planned as a planting and trading province by the Lords Proprietor, and the success of the venture came about through the efforts of Sir Anthony Ashley Cooper, after a 1664 settlement on the Cape Fear had failed. After a stormy voyage during which the vessels Albemarle and Port Royal were lost, the Carolina anchored off the Carolina coast and the settlers decided to plant at Kayawah. They arrived early in April 1670. This group was joined on May 23 by a sloop, The Three Brothers, that had come by way of Virginia. The settlement was located on the Ashley River in a country known by the Indians as Kayawah, and that is was on a point of land having a river on one side and marsh on the other, known as Albemarle Point. In November 1670, the colonists were informed that the town in which they were settled was to be known as Charles Towne. Threats of a Spanish invasion made the settlers quick to build fortifications. Both a broad trench and a palisade may likely have been used. Listed in the National Register December 17, 1969. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 17, 1969
Reference number
Areas of significance
Archeology - Prehistoric; Archeology - Aboriginal; Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Military
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; D - Information Potential
Property type
Historic functions
Village site; Fortification
Current function
Periods of significance
1650-1699; 500-999 BC
Significant year

Update Log 

  • July 28, 2014: New photos from Michael Miller