Commandant's Quarters

21950 Michigan Ave., Dearborn, Michigan

Photos 

Nov. 2013

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads:

This building was one of eleven built in 1833 for the United States Detroit Arsenal at Dearbornville. A walled compound, a 360 foot square, was erected to store military supplies on the frontier. Constructed of red brick in the Federal style, this arsenal was located on strategic Chicago Road, now Michigan Avenue. The quarters were a center for social and cultural events in Dearborn until they were closed in 1875. The Commandant's Quarters later became a fire station, police station, church, courthouse, school facility, library and meeting hall. The Dearborn Historical Commission acquired the building in 1949 and opened it as the city's Historical Museum on October 14, 1950.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1970
Reference number
70000286
Architectural style
Federal
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Fortification
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1833; 1875

Tags 

19th Century (37,641)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1833 (146)
Built during 1830s (2,704)
Dearborn, Michigan (6)
Federal (4,589)
Fort (309)
Have Street View (44,298)
Jeremiah Moors (2)
Michigan (1,923)
Owned by local government (11,500)
Slate (5,715)
Stone (26,160)
Wayne County, Michigan (347)

Update Log 

  • November 10, 2013: New photo from Rattrak
  • September 27, 2012: New Street View added by Rattrak

Sources